Sunday, December 15, 2013

What I Would Do for You


Friends, good morning from New York, from your good friend Sarah, who is happily singing little songs to myself as I re-read for the 73rd time the email from yesterday, from Mr. Unfinished Business.  It seems that there may be a little bit of an Us left, after all, maybe.  Time will tell, but for now, this was enough to get me through back-to-back 21 hours days ahead of me, as I not only work in the Kitchen but also continue to manage my 34 business clients at the same time.  Happy sigh.  Happy girl. 

 

This morning I wanted share with you all of the cool NYC things I am doing to reset my creativity.  Immersing myself in a world of art, of music, theater, and creative Kitchens helps me be a better leader in my multinational corporation.  It helps understand more paths and people in new ways.  I really love learning about all sorts of things, which is why I am also am setting up a tour of the MTA subway tunnels on Saturday.  Why not go learn something completely new and cool about your home city?  It’s a must.  Of COURSE I will wear the subway hat with pride both during and after the tour, because I love stuff like that. 

 

It feels like I am a kid again, on another field trip, and we should all have that kind of joy and happiness in our lives, so why don’t you join me for some of these adventures if and when you’re in town?  Come be silly and fun with me, because it is always more fun to have good company, and I like it when we have stories to tell, together. 

 

So, your good friend Sarah is not only training in the Kitchen and interested in subways, architecture and infrastructure, I also trained as a classical pianist and have performed with several choir ensembles.  My other world, my other happy place, is music, switching between Angie Stone and Chopin, Metallica and Usher, Artic Monkeys and Kidd Rock.  I love it all.  Music is always on in my life, and sometimes, just sometimes, you might catch me singing to myself in the Kitchen as I chop cauliflower, because I cannot help but sing when I am happy, and I am happy there.  Music should be everywhere, and so, I take it with me wherever I go.

 

This week I will see The Messiah with the NY Philharmonic, The Magic Flute at the Met, and I saw the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center, on my obligatory date with Simon last night.   Yes, yes, we went out again, and you can all just ZIP IT with the judging.  I do not know many people yet in NYC, and it is nice to have company on a Saturday night off.  Simon insisted, and I stared at that perfect mouth of his and could not help but say yes.  He is doing his very best to woo me, Friends, and I need to be careful with this one, but not yet.  For now, I am enjoying being a woman who is being courted, and I am being clear in my communications and intentions.  We’ll see what happens with Simon and Mr. Unfinished Business and with others who have caught my attention, but for now, I want to enjoy life, enjoy all things NYC, and so, I did.

 

Here are some pictures of the venue and some pictures from the VIP book we got as a gift, since I could not take pictures of the performance.  Sadly, I have seen the Nutcracker many times in many places in the world, and this was, by far, not the best one I have seen. Three dancers fell, and the 4th scene’s choreography was a bit of a mish mash let-down.  It just did not make any sense, especially how they replaced the soldiers---one of the very best parts--- with these pink and mint green striped hula hoop dancers.  Not cool, George Balanchine, world famous choreographer, not cool. I know what I am looking for, and, sadly, this performance was not it.   I give it a 7 out of 10.








This is the big chandelier in the center of the ceiling.  They make the lights all look like sparkly jewels.  I got in trouble, as usual, shortly after this, for taking photos.  You can take the girl out of Laduree in Paris, but.....
 



 
 

I may be a bit biased, though, as I learned that people in New York talk ALL through performances, and there is NOTHING more irritating to me than to hear the pst-pst-pst around me as I try to lose myself in the music and performance.  I also have never heard, “Whoop whoop!  Atta girl!  Atta GIRL!” instead of “Bravo!” at a performance, along with multiple rounds of clapping interspersed throughout the MIDDLE of the performance, even before the song ended, as if we were watching Dancing with the Stars instead of Tschaikovsky.  These were not the sweet little girls doing that clapping, these were the clearly spoiled, 20ish daughters of the Who’s Who of New York, who also were checking Facebook and giggling as I was trying to listen to the Dance of the Flowers.  You know---the selfish, mean girls who never were taught self- awareness of anything else going on around them, including what other people want and need when attending a performance?   But I digress.  Let’s get back to sweetness, shall we?  Yes, of course we should, because I could write all day about the lack of decent girls for my little brother to date, entitled wenches that they are.  But I digress.  Let me re-find my manners, Friends.  Ahem.  Where were we?  Ah, sweetness.

 

One of the sweetest moments was when Simon and I saw a little girl, her mom, and her grandmother, in line to take a photo with one of the ballerinas from the production.  OH this little girl was so excited, in her sparkly pink tutu.  It was clear that they were visiting and that this was a very special night for them.  After getting to the front of the line, finally, they were informed that they had to pay for a photo, and the mother’s face became very sad very fast.  They decided they could not afford the $28 fee.  When the mom explained to the little girl that they would not be able to have a picture, the little girl was heartbreakingly sad because she could not meet the ballerina, and I just wanted to hug her and tell her it would be ok.

 

Her eyes were all big and glassy, and I just cannot look at a little girl be that sad without doing something about it.  She was not a spoiled girl---she was a sweet girl, an innocent, sweeter than sweet, well behaved little girl who still believed in princesses and ballerinas and joy and happily ever after.  Simon and I had a voucher for a free picture, since he had gotten us perfect orchestra seating, but he was oblivious until I gave him The Look, and then he knew what we needed to do. 

 

I was proud of him as he graciously offered our voucher to the little girl, whose mom promptly refused because she was raised right.  I watched as Simon insisted, sweetly, like a real gentleman, telling them just how much joy the two of us would have watching her have this experience, watching the three of them together have this experience.  I could not help but have my little heart melt when he did it. Your good friend Sarah is tough as nails as a businesswoman, but inside I am a romantic, a softie, through and through, and when he came back to me and looked to me with that vulnerable need for approval, I gave him a big smile as I took his hand in mine and kissed him on the cheek.  I love kindness, and I love it when men know how to take care of making sure little girls are happy.  This was a lovely moment, and I will remember it always. Happy stuff, Friends, comes easy when you do the right thing.

 
Here is a picture of the ballerina.  What a lovely moment that was. 
 

We mostly enjoyed the performance, and then we went to Boulud Sud, which is now my favorite late-night spot.  The staff was incredibly kind, comping things left and right, and I invited Raphael to join my dear Friends Julie and Andre-Luc and me for dinner at NoMad this coming Friday, when they are in town from Brussels, Belgium.    Here are some lovely pictures of our dinner last night:

 

Sea Urchin and Crab Tartine with green olives, lemon cream, and seaweed rye bread
 
Octopus A La Plancha, with marcona almond, arugula and Jerez vinegar (which has just now become my favorite dish of 2013!)
 
Sicilian Busiate:  Braised young goat with escarole and pumpkin seed---absolutely incredible flavors.  I wanted to lick the bowl.


 

And so another beautiful night in New York came to a close.  The city is struggling to know what to do with a snowfall of 2-3 whole inches as I just laugh, wondering what all the fuss is about, since this would be a light snow back in Minnesota.  I am happy and content, about to start my day, wondering what adventures come next, eagerly waiting to get back into my Kitchen to tell my Chefs all about dinner last night as we plan new adventures ahead. 
 
Enjoy your day, today, Friends, and take in as much music and happiness as possible.  Know this, today, Friends:  if you ever are in line to have your picture taken with a ballerina, know that if I can, I will make that happen, I would do that for you, because these happy days make a happy life, and I love seeing you smile and be happy, too.
 
Sending you lots of love from New York,
Your Good Friend Sarah





No comments:

Post a Comment

Miss Moxie thanks you for your thoughts!